Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rooftop adventures

Friday was like it ought to be. After university I went to sleep for some hours before Chung, my Couchsufer/NTU friend, picked me up to go see a theater play: “Memoirs of a Zombie”. Already the way there was a unique experience because never in my life have I experienced such a rush hour traffic. Gazillions of scooters cram the streets, making it hard to move forward and to breath.

IMG_1212IMG_1213

The play itself was a prime mime play, so despite my ignorance of the Chinese language I was fully able to understand everything. It was a one-actress comedy, played so convincingly, with so much love of detail, needing so little props as I have seldom seen it before. The plot itself was simple but cute: a figure runs away from a bar into a witch’s house. There the witch casts a spell on the figure who turns into a zombie and starts eating people. It ends with the zombie eating the witch, turning him/her back into a human and s/he lives happily ever after.IMG_1214In elevated spirits we went to drink a beer at the Simple Market, talked long about academic aspirations, plans, dreams, hopes about the future and funny stories of the past. Chung wants to be a documentary director, a goal I can easily sympathize with. Being close to Elephant Mountain we went up there and enjoyed the night view of Taipei (101). It was good to leave the city once again and look at it from a remote point of view.

IMG_1216Xiang Shan Panorama 2Xiang Shan Panorama 3We concluded the night with a rooftop adventure near my dorm. There is a government building, which is open all night, which should not be a problem because there is a security guard watching it all night – well he is supposed to watch it but was asleep when we came. So we went past him, up the elevator and enjoyed yet another amazing view of Taipei, which I was fortunate enough to capture on digital film. A night to be repeated sometime!

IMG_1237IMG_1247Xiang Shan Panorama 5The philosophy conference is great and fortunately it turns out that I do not have to be an expert on Kant’s philosophy already. Martin Schoenfeld, a German Kant scholar from Florida, tries to teach us something about the Critique of Practical Reason and as far as I’m concerned he is quite successful at that. Around lunchtime one of the participating philosophy professors took out a bottle of Scottish Whiskey being already the second philosopher in a short time who advocates the consumption of high quality alcohol. I can’t say that I minded…

At night we went to a percussion concert at Chang-Kai Check Memorial Hall. Besides the fact that this is an awesome venue, the concert was really well made. It was my first percussion concert, so I didn’t quite know what to expect but I was not disappointed. Classical percussion has little to do with metal-drum-solos (no offence)…

IMG_1270IMG_1269The second day of this exhausting weekend ended with a hippie-birthday-party from Cecilia, for which I was a little bit late. I came when it ended. I don’t mind though – I need some sleep!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment