Monday, February 28, 2011

Cherry Blossoms

Sunday started out as any Sunday should: sunny! and I overslept. So it happened that I rushed to the MRT being way late. I was afraid I would not be able to meet the group of couchsurfers that planned to go up Yangming Mountain to take pictures of the beautiful cherry blossoms. I rushed so much to catch up these five minutes, that I shared a taxi up the mountain and ended up being there earlier than everybody else. I wandered around and in the search of a 7-Eleven I met two wonderful couchsufers who happen to live in my dorm. Kiel and Lauren are two American exchange students who I bonded with straight-away and we decided to climb the mountain together on the look for the most gorgeous of all cherry blossoms. And this is what we found:

IMG_0074IMG_0084IMG_0089

IMG_0090IMG_0091IMG_0097IMG_0115IMG_0142IMG_0145IMG_0152IMG_0153IMG_0155IMG_0157IMG_0160IMG_0161IMG_0162IMG_0171IMG_0175IMG_0178IMG_0183IMG_0203IMG_0206

The pictures pretty much speak for themselves. From one minute to the other we went from huge crowds at the bottom of the hill to absolute solitude on the top. On the way we discovered some of the greatest treasures of Taiwan’s hills: unspoilt nature.

The moss was at some parts so soft that you could pet it. And while we were approaching the timberline I always had the scent of cherries in my nose – hmm, heaven.

Best of all was that when we got to the top, we decided to hitchhike back into town (no buses were coming), and the first driver who saw our sign stopped and gave us a lift. What a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment